20th IUNS International Congress of NutritionICN 2013
The 20th edition of the International Congress of Nutrition took place in Granada, Spain, from 15th to the 20th September 2013. Organised by the International Union of Nutritional Sciences and the Spanish Society of Nutrition, this largest event of its kind brought together over 4,000 scientists from over 120 countries, for 6 days of lectures, symposia and debates dedicated to the latest scientific evidence on topics of food and nutrition. The European Food Information Council has interviewed a number of key scientists to create this podcast with conference highlights.
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The Mission and Objectives of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences are:
- To promote advancement in nutrition science, research and development through international cooperation at the global level.
- To encourage communication and collaboration among nutrition scientists as well as to disseminate information in nutritional sciences through modern communication technology.
The International Union of Nutritional Sciences features contemporary global nutrition issues, such as:
- The Global Challenge of Obesity
- The nature and determinants of child development and their implications for programmatic interventions with young children
The IUNS also embraces global nutrition agenda to address:
- Food and nutrition problems in developing countries
- Food safety training for nutritionists
- To live a life without malnutrition is a fundamental human right. The persistence of malnutrition, especially among children and mothers in a world of plenty is immoral. Nutrition improvement anywhere in the world is not a charity but a societal, household and individual right.