Objectives of the Chair
The International Chair on Cardiometabolic Risk (ICCR) is an independent, academic, multidisciplinary organization affiliated with Université Laval and located at Centre de recherche de l’Institut universitaire de cardiologie et de pneumologie de Québec − Université Laval (Québec Heart and Lung Institute) in Québec City. A key feature of the Chair is its international and multidisciplinary character, linking several disciplines such as cardiology, diabetology, lipidology, endocrinology and metabolism, obesity, nutrition, physical activity/exercise, and basic research.
It is composed of two councils: an Executive Council and a Scientific Council. The Executive Council includes Drs. Jean-Pierre Després (Scientific Director), Frank B. Hu and Peter Libby. The Scientific Council includes Drs. Carlos Aguilar Salinas, Benoit Arsenault, André Carpentier, Juliana Chan, Vincenzo Di Marzo, Bruce Griffin, Michael D. Jensen, William E. Kraus, Ronald Krauss, Benoît Lamarche, Soo Lim, André Marette, Miguel Ángel Martínez-González,Yuji Matsuzawa, Paul Poirier, Robert Ross, Jaap Seidell, Ulf Smith, Gabriel Steg, Marja-Riitta Taskinen, André Tchernof, Luc Van Gaal and Nicholas Wareham.
The members of both councils have been selected on the basis of their expertise, their remarkable scientific contributions, and their status as world leaders in their discipline. More information on ICCR board members is provided on the International Councils section.
The makeup of both councils exemplifies the multidisciplinary approach of the Chair, with all members active in complementary areas of expertise. The Chair provides a forum for them to share their knowledge and expertise regarding diverse chronic conditions—some of which are emerging—but all of which lead inevitably to cardiovascular disease.
This is in keeping with the Chair’s goal to create a platform to examine new ideas, pool member experience and expertise, and share scientific and clinical data to benefit healthcare professionals around the world as well as the general public. The overarching purpose is to develop and disseminate knowledge and tools to address the epidemic of lifestyle-related chronic diseases (abdominal obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, brain health, cancers) sweeping the world by developing tools and solutions for healthcare professionals and the public.
The Chair has the following objectives:
- Educate healthcare professionals and the public.
- Foster ties and partnerships with scientific organizations and professional associations across the world.
- Stimulate and promote population research programs—epidemiological programs in particular—to stem the abdominal obesity, unhealthy lifestyle, and diabetes pandemic currently ravaging our society.
- Hold on a regular basis a high-level international congress on the management and prevention of lifestyle-related diseases, such as abdominal obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- Develop educational activities for healthcare professionals, such as academic sessions at major international congresses, various conferences, publications, as well as communication activities for the lay and medical press.
We encourage you to join us in the fight against this worldwide epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases, which are one of the main causes of mortality worldwide. Whether you wish to take part in our training programs or share your specific needs in terms of diagnosis and management of these pathologies, please feel free to contact us:
Scientific Director: Dr. Jean-Pierre Després
Scientific Content Manager: Dr. Isabelle Lemieux
We would be happy to assist you and begin a meaningful dialogue.